Tuesday 10 July 2012

British Bird Collection

If you have been following me on twitter, you will know that I have become a bit of a twitcher lately. I have been studying British birds in their natural habitat. So, a collection of bird illustrations seemed like a good idea.

I strived to put together a really delicate and well-drawn range with lots of attention to detail, using a technique called pointillism. I pressed I don't know how many dots onto the paper to create my designs, I guess there are thousands. It has taken me weeks to complete the initial drawings, to add the subtle dusky palette, and to select the board and envelopes for the collection. So thank you for being patient if you have been waiting to see the finished designs.


BB01 - Nuthatch

BB02 - Thistles

BB03 - Hummingbird

BB04 - Lotus Pods

BB05 - Blue Tit

BB06 - Buttercup

BB07 - Dandelions

BB08 - Elderberry

BB09 - Goldfinch

BB10 - Reed Warbler


Here is an example of how the back of the card compliments the design. The finish is so important!

BB09 - Goldfinch (card layout)


Each card measures 145mm x 145mm and comes wrapped in a biodegradable bag with a matching envelope. The board used is a version of the high quality board I source from GF Smith papers. It is 300gsm, pearl in colour and is embossed with a 'stucco' finish, which gives it the look and feel of a heavy watercolour paper.

I chose something extra special for this range, as I wanted the cards to have the delicacy of an etching. I altered my original black ink drawings into a warmer brown hue to give them 'shelf appeal' and finished each design with a soft and dusky palette.

If you would like further information about the range, please get in touch (mail@faysstudio.com).

Fay x

1 comment:

  1. They are absolutely stunning....i sure you'll do really really well with this range.
    The attention to detail is phenomenon!

    ReplyDelete