Thursday 11 May 2017

A Father's Day Like No Other.

This month I celebrate 8 years of Fay's Studio. How time flies when you're having fun!

I welcomed this milestone with my largest single order to date from my customer of 8 years, Paperchase!

For many months an order of almost 11,000 Father's Day cards has been keeping me busy in house hand-finishing my 'Hero' Father's Day card range with tiny googly eyes. My home/studio has been overrun with boxes of thousands of cards, envelopes, cellobags and 24,000 eyes! The floorboards and walls have been creaking and I've had to fuel my Mum with plenty of tea and cake whilst packing the thousands. I couldn't have done it without her, we make a great team.

Paperchase sent their order at the end of last year, in a jaw-dropping email which said that my cards had been selected for the majority of their stores. This had never happened before so needless to say my head nearly exploded. My family were all with me when I opened the email and we were all beaming and overwhelmed by the news.
It's thrilling when a buyer loves your designs and sees your vision for what is quite a hard occasion to pitch right. It's great to strike a chord and get the sentiment right.







My thought process for the 'Hero' range is that Dads, Father-figures, Guardians, Grandfathers, God Fathers and Step Dads should all be celebrated so I designed the range with gentle sentiments such as 'You're Like A Dad To Me' and 'We Should Do This More Often Dad'.

Here are just a couple of photos of the work in progress in the studio, each tiny eye fixed on with glue before being wrapped in a cellobag with a recycled fleck kraft envelope.


The size of this order was nothing like I have ever handled before. Just seeing photos from the printers handling the litho print run and the pallet of B1 size sheets ready to be trimmed and creased was an eye-opener to scaling up business.



B1 sheets running through the litho press.
Sheets off the press and ready to be trimmed and creased and delivered to Fay's Studio.
My 'Hero' range is available now to buy at Paperchase stores. Let me know if you spot them and I hope you'll send one this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment